The windows in the nave of Christ Church are of
the "Munich style," or “Munich School.”
These windows were created by Jacoby Art Glass Company in St. Louis,
Missouri, in 1920-1921.
latter half of the 1800's and the first part of the 1900's many churches in
the United States, especially Catholic churches, imported their windows from
studios that grew out of the Munich School.
These "Munich" windows, as they
were called, became so popular in the United States that some of the studios
opened branch offices in Chicago and New York City. The most well known of the
Munich School studios were the Mayer Studios, the F.X.Zettler Studios, the
Royal Bavarian Establishment for the Stained Glass of Gustave van Treek, the
Innsbruck Studios and the Tyrolean Art Glass Studios.
Some American studios also had principals that were trained in Munich and/or designed in the style
of the Munich School. They were the Munich Studios of Chicago, the early Emil
Frei Studios of St. Louis, the studios of Flanagan and Biedenweg of Chicago
and the Ford Brothers Studios of Minneapolis. Jacoby embraced this style
of window, among others, early in their existence.
Most Munich School windows have very distinct
characteristics. The figures are highly realistic, painted in a German Baroque
style on antique glass utilizing the traditional trace and matte
technique of glass painting. If the theme was a scene, it often extended from
one lancet to another. The Munich School windows imported from Germany seldom
used the enamel-based glass painting technique, but it was used by some of the
American studios, most notably Ford Brothers of Minneapolis and Flanagan and
Biedenweg of Chicago.
Usually, but not always, the figures are set
in a realistic scene framed by elaborate white and gold columns and canopies.
Unlike the medieval windows, where the line formed by the lead is an important
part of the design, the lead becomes subordinate to the highly painted
glasses. The Munich School windows had great success with German, Bohemian,
Polish and other European ethnic congregations. They had the sensitive
understanding of the subject matter these congregations desired. The style was
also very similar to the styles of the windows of the churches in the
Windows manufactured in this style date back
to the fourteenth century and earlier. The window shown at left is distinctively similar to the Munich
style, which was refined in the mid-nineteenth century.
This window is called The Virgin Annunciate (c.1340). It is found at
Hadzor Church in the Diocese of Worcestshire, United Kingdom. This
window can be viewed on the internet at the website of
Stained Glass Museum of Ely Cathedral.
Because of the elaborate and detailed glass
painting, staining and etching that is found in Munich School windows they are
of the quality that, because of today’s high labor cost, would be extremely
costly to duplicate. Also, today there are only a handful of studios
throughout the world that employ glass painters that can execute this type of
realistic figure painting.
Jacoby Art Glass Company
created most of the windows (all but three) in our church. In addition
to the windows in the nave (created in 1920-1921), they supplied another window scene for Christ Church 38 years later when the new addition
was built. This window is located in the Children's Chapel on the ground
floor and is called "Christ Teaching the Little
Children." Other Jacoby windows installed that year are the
three sets on the front of the narthex
(front hallway) and the transom window
over the office wing door.